How to Authenticate Diploma for use in China
US diploma must be legalized by the Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate in order to be used in China. This process is called authentication. You may use the same process to prepare TEFL, TESOL certificate and transcript for authentication. Here is the outline of three major steps for diploma authentication for use in China
1) Notarize as true copy or original
2) Secretary of State Authentication
3) Consulate Authentication
VisaRite is specialized in assisting you to obtain authentication from the Chinese Consulate and Embassy easily and quickly. In order for us to help you, you will need to have the documents authenticated by the relevant Secretary of State Office (or US Department of State) first. Pease read the detail instruction carefully and complete all the steps below before you mail your application over to us. If you have the original diploma and need help with notary and Department of State authentication as well, please email us for details.
1 - Notarized by a Notary Public
The diploma should be notarized first. It is required to notarize the original or photocopy of the diploma with two statements: one declaration statement and one acknowledge statement.
Please note a notary may never simply “sign and seal” a diploma. Chinese Consulate routinely rejects diploma, if it only bears notary statement. The declaration statement should be from either the holder or school registrar, not the notary. The acknowledge statement should be from a notary. The two statements can be typed or printed on either front or back side of the diploma or on a separate paper attached to the diploma.
The declaration statement can be something like this "I declare this (the attached) is (my true original diploma) or (a true and unaltered photocopy of my diploma)". The statement should be signed in presence of the notary. The notary should add an acknowledge statement such as "Signed and sworn (or affirm) to before me this___day of____, 20___." and complete with notary seal and signature. Click here for a sample notarized diploma by holder or sample notarized diploma by registrar.
- Chinese Consulates in San Francisco (covering Alaska, Northern California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington): Only school registrar can declare (original or certified copy, not photocopy of) diploma for authentication; Diploma copy declared by the diploma holder is no longer acceptable. A copy of the school registrar's business card is required. Documents being authenticated at the San Francisco Consulate need to have the notary stamp present on all pages of the document. If your notarization is on a attached page and the notary stamp is not present on the diploma page, the San Francisco Consulate will reject it. If the notary is not willing to stamp each individual page of the document, please have the notarization done on the back of your diploma, making it a single-page, double-sided document.
- The Chinese Embassy in DC only accepts notarized original or certified copy of diploma for authentication. Regular photocopy of the diploma with notarization won't be accepted.
Please use letter size version diploma whenever possible, larger size version may need to be fold into letter size to be accepted.
FAQs: Q1: My diploma was issued in MA, right now I'm in FL, what can I do?
2 - Authenticated by the Secretary of State
- The notarized diploma should be further authenticated by the Secretary
of State by adding a cover statement with a designated big seal, signature recognized by Chinese Consulate. Click here for state authentication sample.
- Once authenticated, the staple(s) or rivet
must not be removed, or it will invalidate the document.
- When you submit it to secretary of your state, please indicate
the document will be used in China.
- Diploma authenticated in some states must be further authenticated by the US Department of State. States under DC jurisdiction include Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, Washington DC, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Island. We can help with US Department of State authentication service for a fee, please email us for details if needed.
- Click here for state authentication office
3 - Authentication Application Form (G1)
4 - Photocopy of Applicant's ID
- Photocopy of applicant's passport. Please make a clear photocopy of your passport. Do not shrink or enlarge the size. Use only letter size paper. Do not cut to smaller size. Notarized passport copy is needed if the document is under New York jurisdiction.
- Non-US passport holder needs to provide copy of legal US status such as US Permanent Residence Card copy or US student or residence visa copy.
5 - Select a Service The authentication
fees vary depending on level of service
- Regular Processing (2-6 weeks) : US$230.00/per document
Consular Fee: $25.00 + Service Fee: $169.00 + Return shipping fee:
- Express Processing (Suspended)
- Processing time means the time Chinese Consulate needs to process your application and is based on business days. First day of receiving is not processing day. Weekend and holiday doesn't count.
Forms of Payment:
- Personal check is not acceptable. You may pay by money order or credit card. Credit card payment is subject to 3.6% surcharge.
- Return shipping fee listed is for return addresses within the continental U.S. If your return address is in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Canada, please include an extra extended delivery area fee of $10.00 per order. If you need to ship back to other international address, additional fee and time is needed, please call for detail.
STEP 6 - Complete Service Request Form
Click here for Service
- Please specify your service level and return address by submitting the service request form online.
- Please provide email address and phone so that confirmation and status update can be sent to you during the process.
- Please include one copy of service request confirmation with the documents you ship to us and keep one copy for your record.
STEP 7 - Send the Application Package to VisaRite Service
Put all following items together in one package
- Chinese Consulate will keep a photocopy of your diploma and authentication certificate on file. Please make a photocopy of each single page including the notarized diploma, state authentication page. You may fold page when making copies. Do not unstaple. IMPORTANT! The staple can not be removed or it will invalidate the document.
- One clearly and completely filled "Application Form for Authentication".
- Copy of the passport or photo ID of the applicant.
- Check or money order payable to VisaRite Service to cover the total cost or online payment confirmation.
To prevent delay caused by any errors or omissions, please email us at: email@example.com a scanned copy or images of the complete application paperwork for a pre-check. We will email you the detailed shipping instruction once the pre-check is completed.
The processing time is Consulate processing time and doesn't include the
return shipping time. First day of receiving is not processing day.